101 Ways to Prepare Your House for Sale
A great first impression is a key to selling your house or condo. Prospective buyers want to see your home in “showplace” condition. Most buyers select their home based on emotion and then justify the decision with facts, so it’s important to make the house look great. Remember, you have just a few seconds to create a winning first impression. Here are 101 ways to prepare your house for sale to help boost your bottom line and sell your home quickly.
Start With the Outside
The first impression people have of your home is what it looks like from the outside. Believe it or not, some buyers make a decision to keep on driving to the next property just by looking at the outside of the house. Here are some tips to make them want to come inside:
- Spruce up the lawn by cutting, trimming, weeding and removing all yard clutter. A great-looking lawn makes a great first impression.
- Weed and apply fresh mulch to flower beds – it gives a fresh and maintained look for a low cost.
- Trim your trees and bushes.
- Apply fresh paint to wooden fences.
- Power wash home's exterior, driveway, walkway, patio and deck.
- Consider painting if the house needs it, or if the color is “dated” – a fresh coat of paint on the outside can make the house look completely updated.
- Ensure all gutters and downspouts are firmly attached and functioning.
- Paint the front door.
- Buy a new welcome mat.
- Place potted flowers near the front door.
- Plant some bright flowers in places that could use some brightening.
- Tighten and clean all door handles.
- Clean windows inside and out – make them sparkle.
- Make sure your house numbers are easy to see, and consider getting new ones if it would improve the look from the street.
Now Let's Head Inside
The way you live...